Right now at Homebase, there really are a number of fantastic opportunities to join the business at a significant time of investment since our acquisition by Bunnings, the leading retailer of home improvement and outdoor living products in Australia and New Zealand.
The Legal Counsel will support and enable the business in the UK & Ireland to manage legal risk appropriately by contributing practical tools and advice, minimising the need for expenditure on legal fees and promoting the culture of the business.
Under the new ownership, Homebase is committed to offering customers a wide range of home improvement and garden products at ‘always low prices’.
• Help the business identify and assess current and future risks and benefits from a legal perspective to facilitate decision making and business growth
• Develop recommendations to improve business practices which are consistent with company culture and strategy
• Build and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders, law firms, Bunnings and Wesfarmers corporate solicitors and contacts as required
• Provide day to day legal support for the UK & Ireland business
• Advise on contracts including preparing and updating and acting in an advisory capacity to the business
• Assist the business to manage compliance issues and ensure compliance procedures are understood and adhered to
• Work on business projects and manage litigation as required
• Update and promote the use of tools to manage legal risks
• Assist in developing and rolling out legal training to the business
Skills, knowledge and experience required:
• Excellent practicality/commerciality – ability to apply practical, commercial and business cultural considerations in all contexts
• Good listener; willing to take into account other views
• Willingness to take responsibility and make decisions, taking appropriate risk
• Ability to work with and communicate with people at all levels of the organisation
• Willingness to get “hands dirty”
• Excellent communicator with very high quality verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to think strategically and innovatively and to problem-solve
• Ability to work in a highly confidential environment
• Excellent legal skills with a proven track record
• Strong planning and organisational skills; high level of efficiency
In February 2016 Homebase was acquired by Bunnings the leading retailer of home improvement and outdoor living products in Australia and New Zealand. With huge investment being made into the business and its people, we have exciting changes ahead.
It’s the start of a brand new chapter for us and a truly exciting time to join the business as we begin this new journey with a key focus on offering our customers the widest range of products at the lowest process.
What we offer:
On top of a competitive salary and a variety of benefits, Homebase has won awards for its development programmes, so you’ll be in good hands. From the outset, we’ll ensure you have all the training you need to do your job and support you in creating a development plan that puts you in charge of your professional growth.