Founded in 1979, Homebase is one of the UK’s leading home improvement and garden retailers. The company operates over 160 stores across the UK and Ireland, employing in excess of 7,000 people throughout its store estate, distribution centres and support offices.
Its product range includes painting and decorating, plants, garden tools and accessories, kitchens and furniture.
People don’t just visit us for a tin of paint or a packet of screws. They’re looking for fresh ideas and inspiration for their home and gardens. To make their house a home. And that's what makes a career at Homebase so rewarding.
Homebase has a strong commitment to ensuring the health & wellbeing of our employees, customers and visitors. We have an opportunity for an experienced, highly motivated safety professional to join our team.
As a Health and Safety Business Partner you will work closely with individual stores, regional managers and other business functions to promote a positive and proactive approach to safety, championing our HomeSafe system and helping us achieve our vision; Safety in Everything We do.
Based regionally in the South and with multi-site travel involved to support our stores, your primary focus will be to influence, coach and support store and business leadership teams to achieve better safety outcomes and objectives through execution of our safety program.
What will I be doing?
- Proactively support the business in implementing the business’ H&S policies, procedures, campaigns and education material aligned to the business’ health and safety strategy and broader business objectives.
- Partnering the business to improve safety performance through risk minimisation and proactive coaching, advice and support on all matters health and safety.
- Support and coach our managers across multiple sites to 'lead and drive' safety
- Support stores in the incident investigation process to identify root causes and ensure that controls are implemented to prevent a reoccurrence.
- Provide support in dealing with regulatory authorities in a pragmatic and commercially sensitive manner
- Help to drive and lead the business to achieve our vision – Safety in Everything We Do – through a pragmatic and people first approach to health and safety.
- Facilitating training sessions to motivate and enable our team to look after themselves and their fellow team mates.
- Lead and drive strategic health and safety campaigns, designed to help with the implementation of our health and safety strategy
- Work with our wider HR team to support early intervention, rehabilitation and return to work.
What I need to be successful:
- A good understanding of current and emerging H&S challenges
- Sound knowledge of UK Health & Safety Legislation
- Ability to work within a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Good research, analysis and reporting skills
- Coaching and Influencing skills
- Facilitation and presentation skills
- Leadership skills
- Microsoft office and strong PC skills
- Ability to work remotely and autonomously and able to travel as required
- Formal Education: NEBOSH National General Certificate or equivalent
- Work Experience: H&S role or similar, multi-site experience and experience of retail operations is desirable.
When joining us you’ll enjoy a range of benefits including:
- 24 days annual leave
- Store discounts up to 20%
- Company Pension & Life Assurance
- Access to our employee assistance helpline
And many more additional benefits, discounts and offers.